Whose Dream?


This weekend and this morning at church I was blessed and beyond words inspired by Kimberly Smith, a special speaker who our pastor brought in for the weekend (yesturday and Friday was a conference, and today she spoke in our services).

God's story in her life has both Sam and I reeling.  She has written a book and although I have JUST started reading it ... I HIGHLY RECCOMMEND it!  You got to read it!  It is called "Passport Through Darkness) and here is the link.

"Kimberly Smith was an average American churchgoer, wife, and mother—until she dared to ask God His dreams for her life. Traveling around the world and deep into the darkness of her own heart, Kimberly’s worst fears collided with her faith as she and her family discovered the atrocities of human trafficking. But it was in that broken place that a self-centered life was transformed into an international effort to save thousands from modern-day slavery, persecution, disease, and genocide."

Throughout the weekend Kim asked the question, "are you living the American Dream or the Dream God has for your life?"  This question lead to a long discussion between Sam and I this afternoon.  Honestly, it is a hard question for me to answer.  I know for some my life looks NOTHING like the American Dream, but honestly for me I feel so immensely blessed and as a result I feel like I AM living the American Dream.  I have an amazing husband, six amazing kids, a beautiful house, good health, great jobs, hobbies, fun vacations ...

At the conference Kim focused on that we all have a STORY and that often within our stories there are things that have happened that keep us from living THE dream God has for us.  When she was talking I had an "ah,ha" moment.  I am a very controlling person, I really do like to have control over everything.  Clearly this is something which God has repeatedly worked on in me.  However when Kim was talking God gave me a clear connection between my desire(need) for control to a wounding in my past.  How powerful to make this connection and now be fully aware of it, and to give it up to God!

This morning Kim did not sugar coat God's truths and in not doing so compared to American Church to at times behaving like zombies in horror movies, because we sit around and do nothing while children die from starvation, abuse ...  She reminded us of our Biblical heritage is that of Lion Killers, and how in Matthew 16:18 (The Message) Jesus says this of the church, "a church so expansive with energy that not even the gates of hell will be able to keep it out."  Does this really describe the church?

My reccommendation, READ THE BOOK, and then ask yourself the question "are you living the American Dream or the dream God has designed for you to live?"

The picture has nothing to do with the post, except that it is EVIDENCE of how immesely blessed I feel and how I do feel like I am living the American Dream (that is an ironic statement for me to make, if you knew me well ten years ago).  Jase and Kody love to go for walks in the stroller, which is so awesome because I loove to walk!




Comments