TBRI


These days, if I'm not procrastinating ... I'm doing homework.
Yep.
I'm watching videos, reading articles, and writing mini-assignments.
Yep.
I actually love it.  That is if I'm awake enough to be alert and fully take in what I'm learning.  That is on some days a struggle, lately.

On May 14th I will be in Texas, at a 5 day TBRI training (Trust Based Relational Intervention Training) at TCU (Texas Christian University) for licensed professionals in the field (which is me).  One of the main trainers is Dr. Karen Purvys of "The Connected Child."

If truth be told, I totally did NOT want to go.
I didn't want to register.
I didn't even want to apply for the scholarship to go.
BUT I did, and I did get the scholarship, and I am going.
REALLY, God used my amazing friend Carrie B. to really encourage me to apply to go, and who also encouraged me to go.

The reason I didn't want to go.
I didn't want to leave my baby (Lillyana).
I'm not good at leaving my babies before they are one.
I still don't want to leave her.
But I am going.
And I'm STOKED about the going part (not stoked about the leaving part).

TBRI also does trainings for parents, a training which I highly recommend for all adoptive parents adopting non-babies (although ALL adoptive parents could benefit from this training), and parents of special needs kiddos as well ...

IF you are an adoptive parent (or will be) and have not read "The Connected Child," you must, you must, you must.  It costs very LITTLE, at least compared to going to a training.

AND if you haven't watched any of Dr. Purvy's videos, you must, you must, you must!!
GET THE IDEA!!!
I know, this is just my opinion ... of humble me!!!
Although actually I know lots of people that would agree.
And if you do remember as well, I do have 5 adopted jewels ... and ... anyways!!!!!
She actually put some mini FREE videos on her site.
That YOU could watch.
For FREE!!
Here is the link:
http://www.child.tcu.edu/video.asp

And there are more free videos on her (their) Empowered to Connect website as well.

There is actually a lot of research behind her work, which I LOVE (that is the graduate studies part of me, amazing research was something we used to get excited about).   All to say, there is a lot of validity to what she recommends for us adoptive parents.

AND if truth be told, this is how we have parented Jase.
We have parented him differently from our other kids.
AND he is flourishing and doing so amazing.

On a totally random different notes.
I have so many things I would love to share here.
But these days my time seems to run away from me, and by the end of the day (okay sometimes by lunch, okay truly sometimes by 9AM) ... I am exhausted.

(And the picture, I couldn't resist.  A somewhat recent picture of our baby ... who we ALL so adore.  What a gift and joy she is!  Who knew, I still loved the baby stage.)

Comments

Shonni said…
Ohhhh, wow. How amazing that you are getting this opportunity. I pray that the LORD uses this for His Glory.
Your willingness to obey is inspiring. Your eagerness to learn more is contagious. Your love for your kids and our Creator is evident and raidiates in your life! Praying your 5 days away will recharge you and give you the rest you need but also more tools to become a better you!