Home-Schooling!

 
For those of you wondering, Faith LOVES being home schooled!  For the rest of you, we just recently made a huge decision to check of one more of those "we will NEVER do that" of our list, and we brought Faith home to be schooled.  If this is a shock to you.  It is to us as well.  Except for the fact that I did out loud say "I will never home-school," and being that I seem to be going through that list, I am not all that surprised.
 
We actually began the school year with it in the back of our mind.  It has been a decision long time coming, us considering it last year as well.  It wasn't even that Faith was doing horribly, but she wasn't doing great.  It wasn't that she didn't have a good teacher.  She in fact had a SPECTACULAR teacher.  It wasn't that she was in a bad school.  She was in an amazing school, in fact the school that I work in - Fisher Elementary.  I know, it doesn't seem to make that much sense.  At the end of the day, my girl wasn't happy and was pretty much stressed out most of the time on school days.  Sure she had moments of happiness on school days, as she and everyone (including past and current teachers) have worked extremely hard with her and she has made such enormous progress.
 
Academically she really excels, it is emotionally and socially that she struggles.  Socially, because she is so stressed out of school and doing well is her primary focus.  At home, she is a completely different child.  After much time on our knees, we just felt like it was time to try something else.

 
And this is NO exaggeration.  She absolutely LOVES it!!  And she is herself again, how she is in the summer time.  She is still having some moments of transition, particularly when the house goes from quiet to LOUD in literally a moment when the kids come home from school.  She is figuring out how to navigate it though.
 
At the end of the day, we do what we need to for our children.  I am thankful to all of my friends who have encouraged me with this and given me such great information and resources (Abbey, Carmen, Kristy, and Faith's current teacher Kim).
 
It is such an awesome God detail too that we have this amazing person who is such an integral part of our lives, be home with the littlests when I'm at work.  Her name is Aimee and she is a super star.  And all of the kids adore her, including Faith.  And did I mention that Aimee was home schooled herself.  Is that a God detail and provision or what!?!?!  THANK YOU JESUS for Aimee!!
 
My BIGGEST challenge now is time (oh my goodness does it take a lot of time developing lessons and grading), and to keep my girl challenged.  As she so very clearly has told me, "mom.  I love to be challenged."  She essentially wants me to make it hard ;)


Comments