One More Week!

One more week and it is Christmas vacation.  The kids will be home, and so will I!  I made a comment to a friend yesturday that I don't know how people do it who have to work all year round  =)  I know there are many of you, it really is one of the best parts of my job (that I only work 9.5 months of the year) ... amongst many other things.

Another best part of my job now that four of my five kids are in school ... is that they are at the school I work at.  It is SO AWESOME, and such a GIFT!  I love walking across the playground and having Matteus run up to me and give me a huge hug and a big kiss.  I love being able to walk into the cafeteria to take a break to sit down and chat with Bella.  Actually another thing about Belle lately, is that usually at least once a day she pops in my office to say hi (usually bringing a friend with).  It is sweet.  I love showing up for my first class on Friday mornings (I teach a life skills curriculum in every class), and there sitting right up front grinning is Faith.  I love sitting in my office getting work done, and here comes Ella's class, her giving me a big smile and a wave as she walks back.

On Friday, I taught in all four of my kid's classes.  How COOL is that!

The other thing I love about my work, is the actual work, the work with kids.  However that is also the part that at times can be really hard.  I work with about 40 kids in a small group/one on one setting, and a high percentage of them have experienced some kind of trauma.  The holidays make it hard for these kids, the holidays often triggering things from their past.  A lot of their stories truly BREAK MY HEART, yet doing the kind of work I do I have to actually let it not break my heart on a literal level or I can't do my job.  So I keep boundaries, I try to leave my work at work.  I also do things to take care of myself, to relieve stress, and to keep myself healthy on all levels.

However, sometimes I feel like I'm on trauma overload ... and usually this time every year I feel it more than I do at other times.  So here I am thinking about this upcoming week, and honestly as much as I like my job, I am sooooooooooooooooooooo ready for Christmas vacation.

I am soooooooo going to enjoy the two weeks off.  Aside from a couple of doctor's appointments (one to Children's for Faith, which is another post) I don't have a lot of plans, which is just the way I like it ... lots of down time with the kids.

I can't wait!  

Comments