Rock Forest


Yesterday, Jase and I, along with Mr Li went on an adventure. We went to the Rock Forest. Yep, it is exactly as it sounds! It was beautiful!!


Let me back up a bit, as getting there was quite an adventure. Part of the highway was closed so we along with hundreds of other cars took a smaller road. We thankfully were able to later get back on the highway, as it took us 2 ½ hours to get there instead of 1 ½. Thankfully, Jase slept part of the way there (which I was expecting him to as up until tonight he has really struggled in falling asleep. Tonight I would try something different, I can’t believe I hadn’t tried it yet as I do hmmm … have five other children. I gave him a sippy cup full of orange juice. I know that is not good to do, nope he doesn’t drink milk otherwise I would have gave him that. Jase is a horribly picky eater!!! Okay so the sleeping ISSUE, where every night it has taken him on a minimum TWO HOURS to fall asleep… tonight he was asleep in a LITERAL FIVE MINUTES!! No joke! I was shocked, speechless, and soooooooooo THANKFUL)!!!

The Rock Forest. It is difficult too describe, so just really picture a forest with lots of trees and lots of trails … and then replace the threes with huge long big rocks and that will be the place I went to. I so enjoyed, although during part of it I was tired! There was lots of climbing up stairs or rock paths, and squeezing through small spaces. So imagine me with a back pack and carrying Jase … and …yep tired =)

THANKFULLY, I wasn’t wearing high heels, stockings, and a mini skirt like some girls there. I am not kidding, and I am talking about huge high heels, not your average ones. I really have been blown away by how fashionable Chinese people are. I don’t remember that last time we went!! And pretty much anything goes, CRAZY!


The Rock Forest is famous in China, in part as a result of a movie filmed there. Mr. Li said the movie is as famous as The Sound of Music is in the US. I got the idea =) He also said the movie was based on a true story where the slave girl of a landlord fell in love, yet the landlord wanted to marry her and make her his 10th wife. The girl and the man she loved fought the landlord and they won. Sweet!

Jase is a different kid when out in public, he is all serious, no smiles (except every once in a while at me, and no saying hi to people. When we are in our room it is like a switch goes on and all he does is SMILE, laugh, talk, and play with me!!! Okay, he does do some “normal” almost two year old behavior… cry when I say no, which is often when he is doing something he is not supposed to like putting things in the toilet. The thing though is that EVERYTHING is new as I’m pretty sure that Jase’s foster family lived in rural poor China, totally opposite to a nice hotel room with a bathroom and so forth!

Today I tried putting Jase in the front carrier and he loved it. His whole face immediately lit up when he realized what it was. He pointed to the door and so I took him for a walk around the block which he thought was the best. I enjoyed it too, except my back was killing and that was just from a little walk =)

Another highlight today was that I had the most YUMMIEST lunch! It was delic! I sooooo wish this restaurant was in Lynden! Actually, I’ve been having many yummy meals at this place this week! Nope, it is not a Chinese restaurant … it is a French CafĂ©! I really could eat there every day, fresh bread, fresh veggies, fresh everything! I love it there!

Tomorrow (Saturday) we fly to Guangzhou, for the next part of our adventure. Now on to the US embassy paperwork. My journey is half way over. That is a GREAT way to think about it! I’ve been kind of emotional today, I think it is in part that I am taking our son on to the next phase … we are leaving his birth city!

THANK YOU JESUS for the way you take care of EVERY detail! THANK YOU for the way that I am feeling your presence on this trip! THANK YOU for the way that you have blessed me in ways I didn’t even expect or imagine! THANK YOU for our new sweet son, I feel like He is a GIFT to Sam and I directly from you! THANK YOU for orchestrating all of Jase’s life and all of ours as well! I stand in AWE of you!

Comments