Children's!


I spent most of the day today at Children's and I would have to say that despite the 3.5 hours of having to meet with doctors, Jase was a trooper and I was so proud of him.  Until the last appointment, he did stellar ... he was his charming happy self.  He was done by the time we had our last appointment (I think it was our 6th or 7th), but he still kept it together!  I do think he ate probably about two whole apples throughout the morning, and a whole bunch of cheese sticks.  I had brought snacks (apple slices not whole apples and other food) and they helped keep him happy ... on top of the staff/doctors being wonderful!  At one point he even tried to get one of the doctors to take the lid of the marker that mommy had put on, since the marker was ending up all over his clothes ... =)  The doctor thought it was cute, and went on to tell me about how he tends to be the softie in his house.

I was soooooo impressed with our team of doctors and medical staff, and I would to say that once again (like Faith's surgeon Dr. Hanel from the same hosptial), our new primary doctor and surgeon (for Jase) seems realllly great and was suuuuuuuuuper NICE!!  I always appreciate it when doctors treat me with respect and when they take the time to explain what is going on and what needs to happen, without judgement about the lack of information that I know.

We have never had any of our jewels have a full hearing evaluation done at such an early age, and I would have to say I was blown away ... the audiology clinic was amazing with Jase.  It is amazing to me how SET UP we are in the US to take care of medical needs that in other countries would never be taken care of us, but for us they are more routine (at least for the doctors).

Two - three of the doctors/staff also checked in to see how attachment was going, our surgeon wanting to make sure everything was going well before proceeding to schedule the first surgery.  Children's seemed much more educated in terms of adoption and attachment then they were 5 years ago when we brought Faith (although they did a good job back then too, a different clinic).

Despite getting up at 5AM to drive the 2ish hours to Children's there and back, and despite that my car wouldn't start when we made a quick stop at Fred Meyers on the way home ... it was a GREAT day!  The car story was a quick fix (with the help of our insurance company who sent someone), thankfully as it was POURING rain (and it will be a quick fix to repair - THANK YOU JESUS).  I am sooooooooooo THANKFUL that I have such amazing friends that I can call totally last minute to pick up my kids (Abbey you rock) when I'm running late because my car won't start!

The good news from today was that Jase's initial surgeries will be combined into one long surgery, within the next few months.  The timeline is sooner than what we were expecting, awesome!  And they are going to do most of the work all at once and get Jase caught up to where he should be (in terms of surgeries), AWESOME!  The not so good news that I wasn't aware of was that the post-surgery for Jase will be EXTREMELY painful (they said that repeatedly), poor guy, and it consequently will be a two night stay at Children's ... plus that he will not be able to be active, and can only eat soft foods (which we knew, neither ones which are his favorite).

I'm not worried about it though ... God will take care of Jase and us like He always has!

Comments