Snow Days


Tomorrow will be our 4th day of NO school this week, as Monday was Martin Luthur King Day and we really have been loving it! 

Except for today, because it was sooooooooooooooooo cold and windy, the kids have spent hours outside playing in the snow!!  They have LOVVVVED it!!  And I love watching them play!  So today they instead spent building forts and playing games INSIDE ... love that too!!

We have spent a lot of time this week talking about Marting Luthur King Jr., and everything that he did.  We have watched different parts of his speeches ... and talked about the huge significance of his life.

I have to say that I am one MOM who is SO THANKFUL for Martin Luthur King Junior.  Not only am I thankful for what he did for our nation, but also for what he did for my own personal family.  To think that not too long ago I could not be mom to most of my children, and that I would not have been allowed to be married to my husband is crazy, and hugely heart breaking.  

I don't ever, not even for a minute, take for granted the huge changse that have taken place in our country.  I wish I could type here that I think that racism no longer exists but I don't think that is the case, at all.  Sadly, I am fairly confident that some of my children will as they grow face discrimination and prejuidism.  From living on the east coast, and working in the inner city, I have seen this happen with my own eyes.  It makes my heart sad that people still judge other people based on their skin color, instead of by their character.

My FAVORITE unit to teach at school is on diversity.  I love teaching about that diversity means that we are all different from each other (not that other people are different from us), and that this SHOULD be celebrated ...

I am so thankful for my DIVERSE family ...
I love the uniqueness that each person in our family brings ...
I love each beautiful tone of skin color ...
I love each very different head of hair ...
I love all of the different shapes of eyes within our family ...

And I love the beautiful hearts that behold within, each one of our seven precious jewels,
and within my very stellar husband!

I am passionate about diversity, and I can say that truly within my family, diversity is celebrated every single day!  And as the kids get older and understand more and more, they are beginning to realize as Sam and I do, what a huge gift we have of being allowed to be a diverse family ...

Comments