6 years since our Gotcha Day!



This past weekend was Faith's 6 year Gotcha Day!!

Thinking back brings back many memories!
I remember the day clearly, like it was yesterday, the day we got Faith.  I had actually been in the hotel lobby before they brought her up, and I had gotten a "glimpse" of her there.  I remember running up to our hotel room telling Sam, "I think I just saw our little girl."

And I had.  They brought Faith up to our room, literally handed her to me, talked us with a bit and then left.  Faith cried and cried, she was so afraid.  I remember finally being able to get her to stop crying; I gave her a fruit roll up.  Faith did not say much for days (not that she could speak English), she instead would intently study us.  PRAISE THE LORD we brought Isabella and Matteus with us, because Faith trusted them and would follow their leadings.  Faith's first smile and laugh came days later, with Bella.

Our trip in China really was very protected, despite having a one year old (Matteus), a two year old (Faith), and an almost four year old (Bella) with us for two weeks in China.  The days once home were hard, and really got harder as the months went by.

I knew the right things to do with Faith, I had had lots of training in attachment, but quite honestly I didn't follow what I knew to be best for Faith.  We expected too much from her, on every level.  We picked battles with her, that got us no where, except into a battle of the wills with a three year old (that really had the emotional level of a one year old).

Faith entered our lives with lots of trauma from spending the first two years and 11 months of her life in a highly institutionalized neglectful orphanage.  Faith was very afraid most of the time during the first couple of years, but instead of us viewing her behavior with this lens, we instead failed miserably at providing Faith with what she really needed.

One battle that we picked with Faith was food.  In hindsight I think we had zero flexibility when it came to food, we expected her to eat what our other two ate.  This could be it's own blog post, all to say DO NOT PICK THE FOOD BATTLE.  You will loose and you WILL cause damage to your child's attachment to you, and yours to them.

As a result of the enormous amount of neglect that Faith experienced, she entered our lives literally kicking and screaming.  Although if truth be told I feel like Sam and I did the exact same thing, we in our own way threw our own tantrums.  I had told God I had only wanted two kids, and so I had in faith trusting Him to adopt a third, and He had given me one that was spending hours of her day screaming ...   He had told me to adopt the little girl with the sad eyes, and I had, yet it had not turned out the way I was hoping ... I was bitter and disillusioned ... my life looked NOTHING like "I" had planned.

I got into an emotional "pit," with God, myself, and with Faith.  I got stuck in behaviors that were not helping her, me, or anyone.  I ignored all of the things that I KNEW and instead got focused on me, and me being the parent in "control."

PRAISE THE LORD that God in his faithfulness and grace did not leave me as I was, and He did not give up on me.  After about a year I read a book called, "Spotting the Sacred," by Bruce Main (who is the director of Urban Promise, an amazing inner city ministry that I adore, and spent two summers at as an intern in college).  God used that book to wake me up to what He was doing in my life and Faith's life, and it was the "beginning" of a healing process that took years, in both Faith and me.

It is hard for me to put a time frame on HOW LONG it took both Faith and me to fully attach to each other.  Although I do know one thing for sure, she got there faster than I did.  The other thing that I also know for sure, is that I am NOW fully attached to our Faith (I think for me, it happened about 3 years in).  I really could cry thinking about it, and am having to fight back the tears as I type this, but if truth be told I ADORE MY LITTLE GIRL.

She truly, with all sincerity, is one of my heroes.
When I think about everything that she has lived and has had to endure, it leaves me feeling broken yet also so full of hope.  When I think about everything that she had to leave to come and be a part of our family, it leaves me humbled at the ease of my own life yet also so encouraged at her courage.  When I think about that she has gone through 9 surgeries, as well as living the first seven years without the hearing aids that she so desperately needed, I feel so completely inspired at her resilience, determination, and passion for life.  When I think about how she never gave up on me as her mom and now so adores me, I feel so undeserving, yet so honored, and so completely loved (by her and by my Heavenly Father). 

Faith is amazing ... 
Truly ...
And I am so completely thankful that "I" get to be her mom!!!

THANK YOU JESUS for our little girl!
THANK YOU JESUS for the miracles you have performed in both her life, and my life throughout the last six years!!
THANK YOU JESUS for intervening in both her life and ours, and for giving us the SACRED GIFT of Faith six years ago!! 

Comments

Joy said…
This is lovely (and I have just added "Spotting the Sacred" to my amazon.ca shopping cart)! I am disappointed, but not surprised, and somewhat resigned, to the ups and downs of attaching to my boys (adopted Spring 2011, at ages 2 and 3 - they are now 3 and 4, along with their 1 year-old sister). With baby girl, I am fiercely attached, enjoy her presence pretty much anytime, and definitely feel like she is my child. With the boys (who have adjusted really, really well so far - sparkling, loving little guys - not surprisingly, a few "transition" issues, but nothing I feel I can complain about), I waffle a lot - I enjoy them at times, but still "hide" at other times and am not comfortable having them around all the time, approaching me constantly, etc., etc. While completely un-surprised that I have struggled a bit, given my own personality and emotional style, I really did hope that I would be able to more fully embrace our relationship by this point. I see progress, but it is certainly slow. I accept that even if things don't change, they are my boys, and I am committed to them, and there is "enough" desire to nurture and enjoy them to make it through. But, would I ever love to feel that deep and constant warmth and enthusiasm for them...just for being my sons...and a sense of joy to have them in my life, forever (it's there intellectually...just hard to feel sometimes). I am optimistic that time (and God) will still be gracious, and reading a bit more about your journey with Faith is so encouraging.
the smiths said…
Thanks for sharing. I had no idea the extent of your struggles - previous posts had hinted towards difficulties. This post will help many. So glad you are on the other side with your little girl. :)
The Princess said…
So beautifully said, Maria. Faith is truly a remarkable and AMAZING little girl and we are soooooo blessed to know her!
The Princess said…
So beautifully said, Maria. Faith is truly a remarkable and AMAZING little girl and we are soooooo blessed to know her!
Abbey said…
I loved this post, Maria. It has been such a privilege to walk as your friend over each of the past six years. I'm thankful for your gentle reminders to me as we navigate early attachment with a toddler. This post was maybe one of the best you've ever written. Candid. Honest. AND wonderfully hopeful.