A Dream!

 
 
I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls.”
 
 
I know that for a lot of people today comes and goes, Martin Luthur King day.  The thing for me is that the day usually doesn't go by without me having to fight back tears.
 
The reality is that my family would not be allowed were it not for Martin Luthur King and his DREAM and the way that he fought for justice and equality for all.  I would not be allowed to be married to my husband, and we would not have been allowed to adopt our children.  That is mind and heart blowing to me.  I am incredibly thankful for the ways that God used him in our nation.
 
So at our house we do a lot of talking with the kids about him and the changes he made.  We also usually watch at least one or part of his speeches.  I have visited the memorial in Washington DC and I have to say that the memory of listening to his speeches close to the place where he and hundreds of others marched to this day shakes my heart and soul.
 
I wish I could say that we are where we need to be as a nation, when it comes to racial equality.  But I for one don't think we are as the sad reality is that racism is still very much alive today and we still seem to live in a culture that is dominated by white privilege.  I as a mom of amazingly diverse kids have to be SO intentional in making sure that their little worlds are diverse - through books, coloring books, music, TV, movies, dolls, toys.  This has taken a lot of investment and effort on my part, but it is so worth it.  I want each one of my children to grow up having full confidence in who they are on the inside and outside and I know that research shows that a huge contributing factor to this is whether they SEE themselves in their little lives.
 

Comments

Beautiful post! Beautiful family!

Blessings,

Tina