Rocking, an AMAZING intervention for kids with trauma!

 Last year when I did my TBRI training out of TCU I learned about rocking (in a rocking chair or on a swing and it's sensory impact on the brain).  The impact is that it is calming on the brain, helping the brain to get back to it's normal functioning state when a child (with trauma) is escalated.  I was eager to try it on one of our jewels who is no longer dominated by the neurochemistry of fear - but who still is impacted by it (and probably will be for many years to come, if not forever).  This particular jewel has had a lot of trauma before she became our daughter, yet simultaneously since becoming our daughter has overcome SO MUCH, some trauma related, and some not.  I have to say that I fully ADORE her!
 
While I was still in Texas at my training, I was one night  skyping with Sam and the kids.  While skyping, I SAW this particular jewel escalating right in front of me.  Sam seemed unaware of it and so I cued him in to her struggles and suggested he rock her.  He did rock her (while on skype -while I was watching).  He held her firmly with both arms/hands in a gentle nurturing way (her facing outwards) and rocked her.  I wish we had taped it as it was like MAGIC.  The rocking instantly calmed her down and gave her a stable ground to stand on, one that allowed her to communicate her thoughts and feelings at that moment.  I was amazed, but I think Sam was more amazed as this was the first time he had heard about rocking.
 
It's impact is AWESOME and really life giving for our jewel who we continue to utilize the rocking strategy with.  She is the only one of our jewel who has been so hugely impacted by the neurochemistry of fear, it in the past controlling her where she pretty much could feel afraid in an instant.  A by passer would more likely not identify her behavior that followed to be fear, but perhaps would call it instead anger or oppositional behavior.  Well for our jewel the neurochemistry of fear still kicks in at times and I would have to say that in those moments rocking is her and my best friend.  She is now to the point where she can place herself in the rocking chair and rock for a couple of minutes and be back to normal.  It is awesome and I highly suggest it for any of your precious jewels who are still dealing with trauma and it's impact (causing them to fight, flight, or freeze).
 
For this particular jewel school is especially a scary place and so we see her struggle a lot more during school days.  Our solution ... rocking.  I do other things to help her too - but that is for another blog post.
 
For today I just thought I would share this amazing intervention with all of you.  My advise is GO AND TRY IT for yourself and SEE!
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
hip hip hooray for small victories!

B